Brahmand NewsPrevious Article
Brahmand NewsNext Article

N Korea confirms imminent satellite launch


SEOUL (AFP): North Korea on Tuesday confirmed it was planning an imminent space rocket launch -- a move the US immediately condemned as "another egregious violation" of UN resolutions following Pyongyang's nuclear test last month.

The North sent formal notifications to three UN agencies, including the International Maritime Organisation (IMO), of its intention to launch an earth observation satellite between February 8-25.

The United States, which has been spearheading a diplomatic drive for harsher, more effective sanctions on Pyongyang over its latest nuclear test, condemned the launch plan.

This is "yet another egregious violation of (North Korea's) obligations," said Daniel Russel, the assistant US secretary of state for Asia-Pacific Affairs.

"This argues even more strongly for action by the UN Security Council and the international community to impose...tough additional sanctions," Russel said.

Although Pyongyang insists its space programme is purely scientific in nature, the United States and its allies insist such space launches are aimed at developing an inter-continental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of striking the US mainland.

UN resolutions forbid the North from any use of ballistic missile technology, and sanctions were imposed after its last rocket launch in December 2012.

If the notified launch goes ahead, it would be a further slap in the face of the international community which is struggling to find a united response to the January 6 nuclear test.

"North Korea is defying the UN Security Council, it's defying its... neighbour China, it's defying the international community," Russel said.

The North's notification to the IMO said the launch would take place in the morning with a daily window of between 7:00 am-midday Pyongyang time.

The dates suggest a launch aimed at coinciding with the birthday on February 16 of late leader Kim Jong-Il, father of current leader Kim Jong-Un.

There had been widespread speculation in recent weeks regarding an imminent rocket test, after satellite images showed increased activity at the North's main Sohae satellite launch station.

Since early 2013, North Korea has been upgrading the Sohae launch complex to handle larger, longer-range rockets with heavier payloads, but most experts say Pyongyang is still years from obtaining a credible ICBM capability.

"North Korea is still a long way off from being able to strike the US mainland," Siegfried Hecker, one of the foremost authorities on Pyongyang's nuclear weapons programme, said in a recent interview.

"It has only had one successful space launch. It needs a lot more, but it has made a large effort in that direction," Hecker said.

Tags:

Other Related News

IAF contingent arrives in Australia to take part in 'Exercise Pitch Black' 2024

The IAF contingent comprising of over 150 highly skilled Air Warriors would be operating the Su-30MKI multi-role fighters along with the C -17 Globemaster and IL-78 air-to-air refuelling aircraft in “combat enabling” roles during the biennial, multi-national exercise being hosted by Australia.

BRAHMOS Missile Systems

Headlines

Brahmand World Defence Update 2024

Brahmand World Defence Update

Image Gallery