Brahmand NewsPrevious Article
Brahmand NewsNext Article
Headlines
  • Indian Navy inducts landing craft utility ship:-Adding more teeth to its amphibious warfare capabilities, the Indian Navy has inducted a landing craft utility ship which will be deployed for a variety of activities including transporting battle tanks and other heavy weapons systems....
  • Indian Army to add more teeth to T-90 battle tanks:-As part of efforts to enhance its strike capability, the Indian Army is now working on a project to add more teeth to its T-90 main battle tanks by arming them with a third generation missile system....
  • US-South joint drills begin amid North Korea tensions:-South Korea and the United States began annual war games today, US Forces Korea said, amid heated warnings by Pyongyang that the exercises will worsen tensions in the region....
  • Lanka appoints first Tamil Navy chief after four decades:-Rear Admiral Travis Sinniah was on Friday appointed as the chief of Sri Lanka's naval forces, making him the first from the minority Tamil community to head the Navy since the brutal civil war erupted in the country 45 years ago....

North Korea 'attempts to launch missile but fails': USPACOM

Article
Line Spacing+- AFont Size+- Print This Article

A file photo.

WASHINGTON (PTI): North Korea launched a missile on Monday but it blew up almost immediately after its launch, the US military said, a day after Pyongyang warned Washington that it is "prepared to respond to an all-out war with an all-out war".

The attempted launch occurred a day after the regime of Kim Jong Un showed off a bevy of new missiles and launchers at a large-scale military parade.

"The missile blew up almost immediately. The type of missile is still being assessed," the US Pacific Command (USPACOM) said in a statement.

The US Pacific Command detected and tracked what it assessed was a North Korean missile, the statement said.

"The launch of the ballistic missile occurred near Sinpo," US Pacific Command spokesman CDR Dave Benham said.

Sinpo, a port city in eastern North Korea, was also the site of a ballistic missile test earlier this month in which the projectile fell into the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea.

"USPACOM is fully committed to working closely with its allies in the Republic of Korea and in Japan to maintain security," Benham said.

Meanwhile, US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said that President Donald Trump and his military team are aware of the missile launch.

"The President and his military team are aware of North Korea's most recent unsuccessful missile launch. The President has no further comment," said Mattis.

South Korean and US intelligence officials are trying to determine what type of missile was used on Monday, but it was described as a land-based missile.

The launch came just hours before Mike Pence, the US vice president, arrived in Seoul for talks with the South Korean government over how to deal with Pyongyang's nuclear ambition.

North Korean state media has made no comment on the launch.

Choe Ryong Hae, who is believed to be the second-most powerful official in North Korea, said in a speech on Sunday that the country is ready to stand up to any threat posed by the United States.

He criticised the new US administration under President Donald Trump for "creating a war situation" on the Korean Peninsula by dispatching strategic military assets to the region.

"We will respond to an all-out war with an all-out war and a nuclear war with our style of a nuclear attack," Choe said.

Speaking after North Korea's "failed" missile test, US national security adviser H R McMaster said Trump will not allow Kim Jong Un's regime to have the capacity to threaten the US.

"While it's unclear and we do not want to telegraph in any way how we'll respond to certain incidents, it's clear that the president is determined not to allow this kind of capability to threaten the United States," McMaster told ABC News.

"Our president will take action that is in the best interest of the American people," he said.

McMaster said the launch "fits a pattern of provocative and destabilising and threatening behaviour on the part of the North Korean regime."

"I think there's an international consensus now, including the Chinese and the Chinese leadership, that this is a situation that just can't continue.

"And the president has made clear that he will not accept the United States and its allies and partners in the region being under threat from this hostile regime with nuclear weapons," said McMaster, speaking to ABC from Afghanistan.

Tags:

N Korea  Missile  US  Military  Pentagon  
Line Spacing+- AFont Size+- Print Article

Other Related News

Forces prepared to face any eventuality: Jaitley

India's armed forces are prepared to face any eventuality, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley has assured the Lok Sabha amid the ongoing standoff between Indian and Chinese military in the Doklam area.

Upcoming Defence Exhibitions

BRAHMOS Missile Systems

Headlines

Brahmand World Defence Update 2017

Image Gallery